Welcome new students!
Welcome to the Department of Plant Science & Landscape Architecture!
On your registration day you will meet with a faculty advisor and go over your schedule for the upcoming semester. Once you have a list of classes you need to take you can register for them.
- To add/drop classes you go to www.testudo.umd.edu > Registration (Drop/Add).
- Log in with your university ID and password. This is the same one you use to log in to your Terpmail account. Ex. JaneDoe@terpmail.umd.edu > university ID is JaneDoe.
- If you choose not to take a course your faculty advisor has suggested please make sure to discuss this with them as it may have a repercussion later on.
- Deadlines for adding/dropping courses can be found here:http://registrar.umd.edu/deadlines.html
- Full-time status for undergraduates is 12+ credits.
- Some of your major required courses will fulfill General Education requirements but you many still be missing some. This is your opportunity to find other courses on campus that you would be interested in outside of the major.
- You may find a checklist of the General Education requirements here:http://gened.umd.edu/documents/GenEdChecklist.pdf
- Transfer students: To check if your courses have transferred you should view your unofficial transcript. To access this you go to www.testudo.umd.edu > Unofficial Transcript.
- If you are missing something you may have to request the latest transcript be sent to the university. More information on transfer courses can be found on the Transfer Credit Services page.
- To view what courses are available you go to www.testudo.umd.edu > Schedule of Classes.
- To view only courses that fulfill General Education on the top menu bar choose General Education Courses. This page allows you to view courses that fulfill General Education requirements. There are courses that fulfill more than one requirement--sometimes two-- so you may choose to take one of those courses.
- If questions arise after this session please feel free to email your faculty advisor or Diana Cortez at email@example.com. Enjoy the remainder of break and see you in a few weeks!
To-Do List & Reminders
Helpful links and other information:
- You should view your unofficial transcript. Verify your major is declared correctly, and if courses you need transferred have gone through. If not, please contact us!
- To view all the courses offered on campus you will visit Testudo's Schedule of Classes. You can start compiling a list of courses you are interested in.
- Don't forget to visit our Advising and Advising FAQs page as well. This will help you prepare for this and future semesters.
- You can also check out the Registration Guide provided by the Office of the Registrar. This guide contains information for all students regarding registration procedures and policies.
- To register for classes you will do so by visiting the Registration Drop/Add and Schedule Adjustment page. You might want to read more information about registering here.
- Please let your advisor know if you are planning on dropping a course. This might have an impact to your time to graduation so it is important that you discuss this with your advisor prior to dropping the course.
- Need parking information? Please check out the Department of Transportation's Student Parking page.
- It would be a good idea for you to get familiarized with campus. One way you can do is by viewing campus maps on www.transportation.umd.edu. There, you may also read about Public Transportation available on campus.
- You also need to get a student ID card. To do so you can go to the Mitchell Building. You can read more about ID cards here.
- If you are an international student, please make sure to visit the International Student & Scholar Services website. Go to Students > Newly Admitted for more information pertaining to international students.
- Math Placement Exam: Everyone except for students who have completed Calculus either via AP exam or at another college MUST take the Math Placement Exam. If you would like to do some basic review, prepare for, and take the exam, please visit the following page: http://www-math.umd.edu/placement-test-information.html
- Make sure you have carefully reviewed all instructions provided by the Orientation Office. To verify, please visit: http://www.orientation.umd.edu.
- Go to the Health Center (across from Stamp Union) to find out about what’s required for your Vaccination records. You WILL NOT be allowed to register for next semester’s classes if you have not been “cleared” by the Health Center. Preliminary info is here: http://www.health.umd.edu/
- You might want to become familiar with some resources available on campus. To do so, please visit our Campus & Other Resources page.
We look forward to meeting you during your orientation!